Re: Default value of pct_increase

From: Chuck Hamilton <chuckh_at_dvol.com>
Date: 1997/08/07

Marc Billiet <Marc.Billiet_at_alcatel.be> wrote:

>It may be a very basic question, but according to the Oracle manual
>(Oracle 7 Server SQL Language Reference Manual), the default value of
>pct_increase is 50. When I create a table, pct_increase is always set to
>0. Is it possible that the default has changed somehow (can the dba have
>done this ?).
>To check this, I did the following in SQL*Plus :
>
>SQL> create table marc (x number);
>
>Table created.
>
>SQL> select pct_increase from user_tables where table_name = 'MARC';
>
>PCT_INCREASE
>------------
> 0
>
>Is there any reason why it is always set to 0 (not only in this example)
>?
>The Oracle version is 7.3.2.3.0 on HP-UX.
>
>Thank you for your time,
>
>Marc Billiet

Tablespaces have a default PCTINCREASE that carries down to all objects created in them. The tablespace your creating your table in probably has that value set to 0. Try the following statement to check it.

select b.tablespace_name
, a.pct_increase
from dba_tablespaces a
, dba_tables b
where a.tablespace_name = b.tablespace_name and b.table_name = 'MARC';

--
Chuck Hamilton
Sr. DBA

Press CTRL+ALT+DEL to continue.