Re: Naming Conventions

From: John Strange <jstrange_at_imtn.dsccc.com>
Date: 1997/08/07

We put the application letters (MBS) as the prefix on all objects followed by the table name to which the object belongs. Sequences end with _SEQ
Foreign key constraints ends with _FKCnn Indexes have a unique/Nonunique id _UInn or _NInn Primary index end in _PK
Triggers end with type of trigger _BRI (Before Record Insert). We gave the application it`s own oracle id.

Neil Boemio (nboemio_at_bway.net) wrote:
: Hello ..... can some of you tell me the naming conventions you're using
: for tables, indexes, constraints, sequences, any object for that
: matter. Do you start all tables with t_ and indexes with i_, and
: sequences with s_, etc.?
: For indexes, do you include the table name and also try to include the
: columns indexed in the name as well (e.g., i_emp_last_first). Do you
: include notation for indicating if it's an index for a primary key
: constraint or a unique constraint or a not null constraint (e.g.,
: i_emp_id_pk, i_emp_last_nn, i_emp_accountno_un).

: We were also thinking about grouping related tables somehow. Should we
: do it with a prefix in the name? Like for all tables dealing with
: Mortgage-Backed Securities, we would prefix it with mbs_.
: Or would it be better to group them by schema? So we would create a
: user called MBS, and all objects relating to MBS data would be created
: in the MBS schema.

: We really want to get this right since we'll probably be living with it
: forever! Any help please?
: Thanks so much!

: Neil
: _/_/_/ Neil Boemio _/_/_/
: _/_/_/ nboemio_at_bway.net _/_/_/
: _/_/_/ http://www.bway.net/~nboemio/ _/_/_/

--
This posting represents the personal opinions of the author. It is not the
official opinion or policy of the author's employer. Warranty expired when you