Re: VB5 & Oracle & ODBC & RDO & OO4O

From: Zoran Ivanovich <zorani_at_waldonet.net.mt>
Date: 1997/08/06

serge.levert_at_dsd.canadair.ca wrote:

> Hello all;
>
> We are developing a project with Visual Basic 5 (Enterprise)
> on
> WinNT 4.0 involving very big Oracle databases with SQLNET 2.3.3. We
> have
> run several tests on using DAO & RDO with ODBC (both Microsoft &
> Oracle
> drivers), and also using Oracle Objects for OLE (v. 2.1.02). We have
> come to some conclusions of our own, but would like some feedback as
> the results of others with the same dilemma.

Our experiance:

        Oracle ODBC Intersolve driver: Ok
        Microsoft VB 4.0 DAO: Slow
        Microsoft VB 5.0 RDO 2.0 : Very promising
        OO4O : tried, but with above list, not needed

        Oracle OCI: Ok, but require C/C++
        Class libraries: RogueWave DBTools.h++, in process of evaluation
(pure C++)
                                  Zinc Oracle native support (didn't
try)

Regards,