Re: HELP! Need Archivelog Info

From: Dave Schweisguth <dcs_at_proton.chem.yale.edu>
Date: 1997/08/06

terryg8 (trg_at_ibm.net) wrote:
: TC1Simp wrote:
: > What are the pro's and con's of using ARCHIVELOG?
: >
: > (I am a marketing consultant working with a firm that is developing a
: > commercial product using ORACLE. From what I have read, we need to be
: > operating in Archivelog mode. The application will be running 24 hours a
: > day and are capturing data that could not be fully re-created. However,
: > the programmer feels that there is too much overhead associated with it
: > and it is unnecessary/undesirable.) Can anybody help shed some light on
: > this issue?
:
: In simplistic terms, if you are running in archive mode you can recover, in
: the event of catastrophe, from last backup up to the crash time. (generally
: speaking) If you aren't running in archive mode, you can restore the last
: backup, or the last export but thats as far as you get.
:
: Archiving is io intensive by nature but most shops consider it essential.
:
: Sounds like your programmer is concerned about hardware resources i.e. not
: enough cpu or disk. Archiving just isn't that hard to set up so why not try
: it and see if the concerns are justified?

We did just that, and our performance dropped by a factor of many. Is this normal?

--
| Dave Schweisguth                     CuraGen Corp., Bioinformatics Dept. |
| dcs_at_proton.chem.yale.edu             New Haven, Connecticut              |