Re: Default value of pct_increase

From: Jacob Steen Due <jcd_at_ramboll.dk>
Date: 1997/08/05

Marc Billiet wrote:

> It may be a very basic question, but according to the Oracle manual
> (Oracle 7 Server SQL Language Reference Manual), the default value of
> pct_increase is 50. When I create a table, pct_increase is always set to
> 0. Is it possible that the default has changed somehow (can the dba have
> done this ?).
> To check this, I did the following in SQL*Plus :
>
> SQL> create table marc (x number);
>
> Table created.
>
> SQL> select pct_increase from user_tables where table_name = 'MARC';
>
> PCT_INCREASE
> ------------
> 0
>
> Is there any reason why it is always set to 0 (not only in this example)
> ?
> The Oracle version is 7.3.2.3.0 on HP-UX.
>
> Thank you for your time,
>
> Marc Billiet

Your DBA has proberbly changed the default on tablespace level - this is then
inherited by tables which are created without giving a specific pctincrease.

When creating tables one should *always* specify pctincrease, that way you're
not depending on a uncertain 'default' value. Users don't seem to catch on to
this point though.

Jacob Steen Due						   email: jcd_at_ramboll.dk
Oracle DBA and application developer                         web:
www.ramboll.dk
RAMBOLL
Teknikerbyen 19
DK-2830 Denmark Received on Tue Aug 05 1997 - 00:00:00 CDT