Oracle7 LONG vs. PL/SQL LONG

From: Leslie_B_DreyerKalra <lbd_at_techiesinc.com>
Date: 1997/08/04

Hello all...

I'm having some trouble getting at the data in a LONG column.

I understand that the PL/SQL LONG is only 32760 characters long, while the ORACLE7 LONG is 2 GB or so. Nonetheless, I have to generate a web page with the contents of my LONG column in it. How do I get at it? Do I have to resort to another language, or is there some way I can persuade PL/SQL to deal with it?

I'm using an explicit cursor in a FOR loop. I use the cursor output as input to htp.tableData calls to generate the web page. It works fine as long as the data in the column is <= 32760. If I push it to 32761, I get a value_error exception.

I will use perl (DBI) for this if I have to, but it will be much more painful if I do. Does anyone know of a way to get around this limitation in PL/SQL??

Thanks much!

Leslie

--
Leslie Dreyer Kalra