Advice on date column?

From: Bruce Bristol <bbristol_at_ix.netcom.com>
Date: 1997/08/02

Hello,

I'm fairly new to my additional DBA responsibilities and need some advice.

I'm going to be adding, removing and possibly changing some columns on our tables. This affords me the opportunity to add century to a column that we currently have a yymmdd date stored in.

The column's type is number(6).

The data we'll always receive from our customer will be in the yymmdd format, even on/after 2000.

For sorting purposes, I can increase the column to a number(8) and add the century in our programs, or perhaps an insert trigger.

Should I do this, or just change the column type to 'date'? If I do change the column type to date, how do I make sure that programs can access it by yymmdd or even yyyymmdd?

If access can still be by yymmdd, will oracle think 000101 is 1900 or 2000?

Thank you!

-Bruce Received on Sat Aug 02 1997 - 00:00:00 CDT