Re: Installing Oracle on SCO 5.0.4

From: Tom Cooke <tom_at_tomcooke.demon.co.uk>
Date: 1997/08/01

<stuff deleted>

Hi! This problem is _not_ Oracle's fault. We have a fully licenced version of Oracle for SCO which runs fine on OS 5.0.0, 5.0.2.

However, 5.0.4 is just plain broken! Try writing a hello.c program and using idld to link it redundantly with, say, libsocket.a. I give you ten to one it won't work.

Oracle, despite me admitting it was a SCO problem, are looking into what SCO are doing about it. We have support with Oracle but not with SCO; I think Oracle are being pretty good about this.

Admittedly Oracle only give support if you pay, but be fair; we are paying a five-figure sum per annum to have them fix problems on our 6000-registered, 500-concurrent user database, our development and CASE tools, etc, etc, and we would prefer them to be fast helping us over answering questions from people without support contracts who may not be as sincere as you - imagine if you were Oracle even trying to give one short answer to everyone who posts in comp.databases.oracle.*! Received on Fri Aug 01 1997 - 00:00:00 CDT