Re: Help !! Performance Problems with Windows NT4.0

From: <tdrudy_at_ix.netcom.com>
Date: 1997/07/31

BG wrote:

> Please Help Us !!!!!!
>
> Performance Problems with Windows NT4.0
>
> We Recently had a performance problem on 3 different Servers with the
> following configurations:
>
> [CPU 200 MHz Pentium , 64 Ram, and 4 Gig Disk Drive].
>
> They are new DELL'S shipped with Windows95 which we installed Windows
> NT 4.0 Server. The machines initially ran fine, but after we
> installed Oracle 7.3 and a database of a million rows, the
> applications on the server began to run very slow.....For instance,
> explorer on the server takes between 3 and 5 minutes to come up.
> Re-installing Windows NT server temporarily fixed the problem. (But it
> has returned) We have adjusted paging and defragged the hard drive to
> no help. The problem persists even after Oracle, the listener and
> other services are shut down....
>
> Thank You
> briang_at_avanco.com

Brian,

        Are you positive that the prob is Oracle? Windows 95+NT do not always release memory back to the OS when an MS app is closed: system must be rebooted.

        If Oracle IS the prob, have you tuned it? You don't mention that you took any Oracle tuning steps.

        Under what conditions is it running slow? After what events occur? How long does it take before it begins running slow after those events? Can you provide more details?

                        Tom Received on Thu Jul 31 1997 - 00:00:00 CDT