Re: Dropping Tables and Tablespaces

From: Gary Assa <gsa_at_panix.com>
Date: 1997/07/30

>1. When I drop a table, should I drop its indexes as well? Or is this
>done automatically?

It's done automatically.

>2. I have assigned a tablespace to each table. When I drop the table,
>should I drop the table space? I said "yes", thinking that recreating the
>tablespace would lead to better optimization.
Oracle will reconstitute (I like that word better) the free space into one contiguous block, if like you say you only have one table per tablespace.

>3. After I drop the table and tablespace, I issue a COMMIT and then try to
>recreate the tablespace. But why do I get the following error every
>time? (Perhaps, I shouldn't drop the tablespace, but this error is
>bothering me)

Commit does nothing in this situation. a drop command commits all pervious tansactions.

Why not do a TRUNCATE TABLE DORFSPACE; before the SQL*Load? This will wipe the table quickly and you will still have thr table there.

--
If you have a condom and sunscreen SPF 15 or greater, than it's safe to look at