Design: object name conventions (standards??)

From: Don <name_at_isp.dom>
Date: 1997/07/30

We are new to Oracle 7.3.3, and are looking for good ideas or pitfalls to avoid when it comes to naming the various objects found within an Oracle database. it would be nice if the 15 developers could then "standardize" on some kind of "naming convention".

We will be writing front end 2 and 3 tier applications against Oracle. Most of the development work will be done using Delphi 3 c/s

There will be multiple applications that will usually have tables / objects that are NOT shared with any other app. Do we want multiple schemas, or are there good reasons to have a single "production" schema? (ignore security issues for now.)

We have thought about granting "authorities" to roles, rather than specific users.

Within an app, there will be indexes, snapshots etc.

Any ideas / suggestions are appreciated.

Don Dealy, II
Legacy Health System