Re: Database Won't Start

From: Roland Portmann <portmann_at_parallel.ch>
Date: 1997/07/29

The two methods, that my work:

- startup mount
- alter database datafile '/tmp/xxxx' offline;
- alter database open;

If it not works, set the database in archive-mode and try again. If the datafile contains rollback segs, you have to disable the segs before.

A other method that sometimes works, is to delete (rename) the control file, and make a new one (Create controlfile statement).

Before you try this, backup all the files you have. There is a quite high probably, that you loose some data or you get a database with inconstent data, if you try this tricks.

Roland Portmann
portmann_at_parallel.ch

R.A. van Geleuken wrote:

> ShimSoft wrote:
> >
> > I lost two datafiles that were in the /tmp directory of a Sun
 Solaris
> > 2.4 system. I did not know at the time that this directory is never

> > backed up and is deleted whenever you do a reboot. I did a reboot
 and
> > lost everything I had in that directory. I can't start the database

> > because it keeps looking for the missing datafiles and shuts itself
 down
> > when it can't find them. I tried doing a FORCE and RECOVER start
 but it
> > had no effect. I don't have a backup with the missing datafiles.
 Is