RunForm Question

From: Michael D. Stiler <mstiler_at_gene.COM>
Date: 1997/07/24

Help! (waving torn t-shirt trying to get attention...)

We need a way to default (or force) the database/instance name from a command line/file when a user logs into Oracle Forms.

We have multiple instances of our database for different groups (development, training, production, etc.) and the main Oracle form that we need to get to (it calls the other forms as necessary) is called by a third-party application whose product we're extending.

The third-party app is on a read-only 'seed' disk on each client computer, but all data, forms, reports, scripts, etc. are on the server.

We need a way to pass _JUST_ the RunForm command, module name and database/instance name from icons on the third-party app but still get the Forms login box where they have to enter their userid and password (the icons will control which database/instance is called). Normally, from a command line, this would be: F45RUN32 module=<module_name> [userid=<user_name/password_at_database_name>], but we don't want the users to have the option of going to the wrong database/instance; and if you leave out the @database_name parameter then they can enter anything they want.

With over 300 users who can be logged in from anywhere in the confines of the plant, this probably rules out using individualized batch files on each person's NT machine. Changes to Init.Ora/Config.Ora? Changes to Windows registry?

Would appreciate any help on what should be a simple problem, simple solution.

OBnote: The database is on a UNIX box with NT clients

Thanks in advance,
Mike Stiler Received on Thu Jul 24 1997 - 00:00:00 CDT