Re: Help : PL/SQL Cursor Limitations

From: James C. Brannigan <JCBrannigan_at_nospamMarathonOil.com>
Date: 1997/07/23

From PL/SQL Manual, page 2-9

String Literals
A character value can be represented by an identifier or explicitly written as a string literal, which is a sequence of zero or more characters enclosed by single quotes. Several examples follow: ’Hello, world!’
’XYZ Corporation’
’10–NOV–91’
’He said ”Life is like licking honey from a thorn.”’ ’$1,000,000’
All string literals except the null string (’’) have datatype CHAR. Given that apostrophes (single quotes) delimit string literals, how do you represent an apostrophe within a string? As the next example shows, you write two single quotes, which is not the same as writing a double quote:
’Don’’t leave without saving your work.’ PL/SQL is case sensitive within string literals. For example, PL/SQL considers the following literals to be different: ’baker’
’Baker’

Venu Ellendula <vellendu_at_pt5026.pto.ford.com> wrote in article <33D4B22A.7331_at_pt5026.pto.ford.com>...