Re: LONG to VARCHAR: How can it be done?

From: Thomas Greuter <deletethis.grth1_at_zh.swissptt.ch>
Date: 1997/07/22

Hi TRG,

Thanks a lot for your nice idea, I tried it, but...

I did:
select 'update local_artikeltexts set bezeichnungd='''||bezeichnungd||''' where artikel_id='|| artikel_id from artikeltexts;

I get:
ORA-09100: Target system returned following message:
[Microsoft][ODBC SQL Server Driver][SQL Server] Implicit conversion from
datatype 'text' to 'varchar' is not allowed. Use the CONVERT function to run this query.
[Microsoft][ODBC SQL Server Driver][SQL Server] Implicit conversion from
datatype 'char' to 'int' is not allowed. Use the CONVERT function to run this query.
ORA-02063: preceding 3 lines from PRIDA

As I can see from this msg, the SQL-Server seems to have to do the conversion. I will try to get the source db to offer me a view on that table. The view then will do the convert. It took me a couple of minutes to understand that CONVERT means the SQL-Server convert, not that one from ORACLE. Thanks for your answer anyway, it lead me to a useful error msg.

Thomas Received on Tue Jul 22 1997 - 00:00:00 CDT