Re: Sending Email notification with PLSQL

From: William Hill <cnsltwlh_at_GeeTeeEee.net>
Date: 1997/07/22

This assumes a Unix platform:

You can also make the agent sqlplus driven by spooling the output of a select from the event table into a file. Then have an init spawned shell daemon which simply sleeps for a time, runs the plsql script to check the event table, and fires off email if the file exists and has a particular string in it - like HIT. This script then sends the mail and deletes the special file, then dies. Init will spawn a new instance once the old one dies and the process continues .... The shell script should loop back to sleep if there is no work to be done (file doesn't exist or doesn't contain the key word).

GeeTeeEee.net == gte.net

In article <5r28ha$fha$1_at_gte1.gte.net>, cnsltwlh_at_gte.net says...

>It has worked. I have done it interactively and in a script on Unix.
>Not certain on other platforms, but seems likely that it would work.
>It did take same tweeking to get it to work in a script ....
>
>The better way to do it is still the agent/table way. I will be
>happy to provide ProC and C code examples on how to do such an
>agent under Unix.
>
>William
>
>In article <5qulr0$kmr$1_at_Jupiter.SPARCO.Com>, cheema_at_Jupiter.SPARCO.Com
>says...
>>
>>cnsltwlh_at_GeeTeeEee.net (William Hill) writes:
>>
>>>There isn't any reason that I can think of not to do it this
>>>way. One easy way to accomplish it would be to use a bang (!)
>>>system call to invoke a program which will send you the
>>>message you need (if Unix, then sendmail would work).
>>
>>This will not work.

 _
 __