Changing default Date format in Oracle 6

From: Albert W. Dorrington <awdorrin_at_ictest.delcoelect.com>
Date: 1997/07/22

Hi All,

        I have an Oracle6 database (V6.0.33.1.4) and have not been able to find the answer to this question inthe documentation.

        Is there a method for changing the default date presented by the database when selecting from a date field? Currently the system returns dates in the format of: 22-JUL-97 I would like to change the default format to be: 22-JUL-1997

Yes, I know I can use the formatting routines for this, but I would like the DEFAULT format to change.

        If this is not possible with Oracle 6, is it possible with the newer versions of Oracle? I probably will not be able to upgrade to a new version of Oracle without a huge amount of difficulty, but we may be forced to migrate in the next two years otherwise.

Thanks in advance!