Q: Perl/Oracle across the net

From: Jeff Hecker <jeff_h_at_cais2.cais.com>
Date: 1997/07/21

Greetings, I have a Perl/Oracle/network/DBI/DBD question:

We have two groups who want to share some data. One has an Oracle 7 database running on a NT server. The other group is a Unix group. I'd like to be able to connect the Unix box as an Oracle client.

I've checked the DBI/DBD readme files and think I'm missing some pieces. I don't have Oracle on my Unix boxes - not to mention a development system. Is there a way around that? Our Oracle is an umpti-ump client license... We have PC and Mac clients... Is the need for an oracle development system technical or legal? What prevents some pre-compiled DBD .o files in CPAN?

I hope I am missing something obvious. Any other ideas?

TIA / Jeff

Jeff Hecker / wb3bdy        U.S. Senate Democratic Policy Committee
Jeff_h_at_cais.com                                Washington DC, 20510
(202) 224-3232           Working to be a Microsoft-free environment