Re: Duplicating databases

From: Bola Ogunlana <bolao_at_incads.demon.co.uk>
Date: 1997/07/20

In article <33C3E46E.22D_at_club.innet.be>, Steven Egberghs <steven.egbergh s_at_club.innet.be> writes
>Hi there,
>
>We've got two identical databases (created with the same script, except
>for the SID and the location).
>One is a production-db, and one is a test-db.
>When both db's are down, can I just copy the dbf-files from one to
>another?
>
>If this is not sufficient, what is a proper solution ?
>
>Thanks.
>Steven

The datafiles/control files/redo log files contain amongst other things the database name. Additionally, they contain header info which syncs them all. Another database with a different db_name would not be able to use them (without some tweaking of the control files).

Another option you may wish to consider, if practical, will be to do a database FULL export from one(A) & an import into the other(B). I'm assuming that by saying the 2 databases are at different locations you mean separate Servers/Computers. If not, before you attempt to use a full import from A to B make sure that B, in the very least, has all the required tablespaces pre-created (or else your import may interfere with database A in a nasty manner).

By using the import method you are also establishing that your whole database is kind of sound from the read/write point of view (you did a successfull FULL export (A) & a successfull import (B)). Its also a chance NOT to carry over all the fragmentation from A into B (if that is what you would not mind doing).

--
Bola Ogunlana