Livewire + Oracle = SLOW!!! HELP!!!

From: Lyle Fong <lyle_at_best.com>
Date: 1997/07/20

I'm using the following:

  Netscape Enterprise Server 3.0
  Livewire 1.0x
  Oracle 7.3.2.2
  Running on Solaris 2.5.1 (Ultra Sparc 170e)

My problem is that my Livewire apps all run extremely slow. (About 1-2 second response time when good, 10-20 seconds when bad!!) SQLPlus runs very fast, even Perl CGI's run fast.. but for some reason, it's really slow via Livewire. I've tried playing with the Client Object Maintenance setting, and I've tried increasing/decreasing the maximum database connections. I'm running Oracle in MTS (Multi-threaded) mode.. perhaps it's just a tweaking problem.. but it's really darn slow. :(

Also: After a bunch of accesses (about 10-15), I no longer can access the database via Livewire. (doesn't matter which application.. even dbadmin won't run. However, dbadmin on another server instance WILL work) I must stop and start the server to access the database again via that particular server instance. This is obviously a more serious problem than the first one.. hehe.

Any help or direction would be greatly appreciated!! (I'm about to give up trying to get Oracle to work, and switch to Informix or MS SQL Server (via ODBC).

Thanks,

Lyle
lyle_at_netstreams.com

Lyle Fong              NetStreams Consulting            Pager: (510) 810-1210