Re: Help! Need web page updates without CGI access to database

From: Wes Corp <wcorp_at_netfiber.com>
Date: 1997/07/19

Hi Mike,

Can you forward the ascii schedule you are trying to turn in web pages? If so I will take a look to see if it will work with Netfiber.

Please visit Netfiber at
http://netfiber.com

It will automatically create cgi programs for many of the things you are seeking.

Best regards,
Wes

wcorp_at_netfiber.com

mlane_at_suffolk.lib.ny.us (Mike Lane) wrote:

>Hello:

>I work for a college in NY and we are attempting to improve the
>ability of students to access our updated schedules. Obviously the
>best way to do this would be to provide CGI access through a web page
>to the schedule database in real time. Unfortunately this is not an
>option right now as the programmers are tied up on other projects for
>the foreseeable future.

>Here is what I can (and do) get right now:

>1) A periodic download of the schedule in ascii text format

>2) Access to the directory on the Risc that holds the schedule.

>What I have done is basically take the raw ascii output and manually
>reformat it and manually insert all the tags and links. What I want
>to do is figure out a way to automate this process so that I may take
>the ascii download and have a process that almost totally automates
>the process of reformatting, inserting tags and links, and posting to
>the web page. It also important that I be able to use a program that
>will do something like recognize the word Accounting in a certain
>context and auto insert a link to the page describing the accounting
>program.

>Once I have automated this as much as possible I can at least up the
>frequency of updates to once daily. I am willing to buy any software
>I need and have maybe 50 hours to work with (5 hours a week, ten
>weeks). If anyone has done anything similar to this (maybe with
>Access or Oracle) or has any ideas as to the best way to proceed I
>would sure appreciate your input. Please email me.

>Thanks,

>Mike

Wes Corp
Email: wcorp_at_netfiber.com