Re: Good editing environment....?

From: Tomm Carr <tommcatt_at_geocities.com>
Date: 1997/07/18

Kenn Herman wrote:

> The way I have been editting procedures is to have a scratch window to
> write my procedure in including the "create or replace" and the
> trailing "/". Once I am ready, I paste it into the sqlplus command line.
> well once there I can edit it with the editor of my choice, but as soon as
> I make any other SQL args then the buffer is lost. I have to then "select
> text from user_source where name = 'PROCEDURE_NAME';" to retrieve it and
> the paste it back to my scratch window.
>
> I am _sure_ there has to be a better way then this but have seen no
> reference to it.

A good editing environment, hmmm... Well, on Windows I use Wordpad. The
procedure is something like this:

  1. Open (or create) the source file in Wordpad.
  2. Save the file. Don't close or exit, just save.
  3. Alt-TAB to SQL-Plus.
  4. Enter "@filename" to execute the source
  5. Observe errors or output.
  6. Slap your forehead soundly for making such a stupid error!
  7. Alt-TAB to Wordpad and fix the mistake(s).
  8. Goto step 2.

Not fancy, but it works for me.

P.S I even have a similar method when I am on the VAX. I just have to open two terminal sessions, one for EDT and one for SQL*Plus.

--
Tomm Carr