Re: Communication Between Two Instances

From: Bill Manry <B.Manry_at_us.oracle.com>
Date: 1997/07/18

r#as#crystal_at_d#as#ri.mc#as#graw-hill.com (Rona Crystal) wrote:
>I have two separate projects which we are doing in separate Oracle
>instances. However, occasionally it will be necessary for a process
>(probably implemented in Oracle Forms) to do a simple query against a
>table in the other instance.

>Is there a way to implement this and if so, where is it documented.

While it is possible to make the application open a separate session in the other instance, that can be tricky to manage depending on the application design or tool, and it precludes some useful capabilities such as joining tables from both databases in a single SELECT. The alternative is to create a database link from the first instance to the second. This lets SQL statements issued to the first instance refer directly to tables in the second instance.

Database links are documented in the Oracle7 Server Concepts Manual, Oracle7 Server Administrator's Guide, and elsewhere.

/b

--
Bill Manry - IBM Products Division - Oracle Corp. USA
The above statements and opinions are my own and do not