Re: IBM DB2 serious alternative to Oracle/Informix?

From: Michael Ruminer <thompis_at_thompsonsupply.w1.com>
Date: 1997/07/18

jbrock_at_panix.com (John Brock) wrote:

>In article <33BBEC44.692F2A8A_at_mindspring.com>,
>Tim Schaefer <tschaefe_at_mindspring.com> wrote:

>If IBM -- which controls the mainframe DB market but doesn't have much
>of a foothold in the client/server world -- were really interested in
>swaying non-DB2 people to DB2, their best bet might be to try to buy
>market share, by selling what is generally acknowledged as a world
>class database engine at fire sale prices. Hey! According to the
>original poster, that's exactly what they're doing! If DB2 on Unix and
>NT really does have a 10 to 1 price advantage over Oracle and Informix
>(can that possibly be right???) it strikes me as a *much* stronger
>incentive than a well coordinated color scheme.
>--
>John Brock
>jbrock_at_panix.com

The above is exactly why I had my company buy DB2. You can get a world class Database for UNIX at a fraction of the cost that I would have ever expected.

 Data isn't pretty. If an interface is needed - I'll build it. I just want an engine to store and query and retrive the data. I'll control it's interface.

I'm looking forward to using the product. An excellent product at an unbelievable price. That is truly incentive.

Michael Ruminer Received on Fri Jul 18 1997 - 00:00:00 CDT