Re: Oracle access from Apache web server

From: Bob Eisner <boei_at_trifox.com>
Date: 1997/07/17

spember_at_mail.ue.com.au.kludge.to.stop.spammers wrote:

> Hello All,
>
> I'm running a (currently) small internal web server on Apache 1.2 and would like
> to access data stored in our Oracle servers. Is this possible?
>
> The Web server is a P90 running Linux 2.0.27 and Apache 1.2. The Oracle servers
> are RS/6000's running AIX.
>
> Any suggestions?
>
> Steven P.

Hi Steven,

You may want to take a look at VORTEXjava, VORTEXjdbc and VORTEXperl products from Trifox.

A JAVA applet can only connect back to a machine that the applet was download from. This restriction is in place for security reason.

However, it you use the VORTEXjava or VORTEXjdbc products from Trifox, you can get around this restriction. We have the ability to relay calls from the backend server (where the applet came from) to another backend server on another machine.

  Client <-----> Liunx Host <-----> AIX Host

 NETSCAPE                  HTTPD                 Oracle
    or                   JAVA Applet
  MS IE                 VORTEXserver          VORTEXserver
                        Perl Program

In the example above the Browser, can reference an HTML page which has an JAVA APPLET which gets download to the client machine an connects to the VORTEX server on the AIX Host. The URL specified in APPLET foo tells the VORTEX server on Server the Linux Host to connect to the VORTEX server on Server of the AIX Host. The VORTEX server on the AIX host then connects to Oracle.

We're currently using this type of access to allow users on the Internet to gain access to a Oracle RDBMS running on a Solairs Sparc host inside our Firewall. We're running an Apache 1.2 WEB Server on Liunx 2.x.

If you want a demonstation of this, you can down evaulation copies of VORTEXserver at http://www.trifox.com/products/eval_server.html

You can obtain an evaluation copy of VORTEXjdbc from our WEB site at http://www.trifox.com/vortex/vtxjdbc.html

You can obtain an evaluation copy of VORTEXjava from our WEB site at http://www.trifox.com/vortex/vtxjava.html

You can also access the VORTEXserver on AIX from the the Linux host with a Perl program. VORTEXperl talks to multiple RDBMS and supports Oracle on AIX. It uses Perl Sockets so there is no need to re-build the Perl runtime.

You can obtain an evaluation copy of VORTEXperl from our WEB site at http://www.trifox.com/j/vortex/vtxperl.html

Hope this Helps

Bob Eisner
408 369-2392 Received on Thu Jul 17 1997 - 00:00:00 CDT