Re: Listener with multiple databases

From: Peter Boven <Peter.Boven_at_ucc.nl>
Date: 1997/07/17

Steven Egberghs wrote:

> Hello,
>
> My configuration is :
> AIX 4.1
> Oracle WG 7.3
> Tcp/IP-clients
>
> I have two database, and I need to configure the listener so that I
> can
> access both from clients.
>
> Do I need 2 listener.ora files ( I guess not ) ?
>
> When I duplicate the contents of listener.ora and add this to the same
>
> file, but different listener-aliases (eg list1 and list2 ), I can't
> start the second one with lsnrctl.
>
> What is the corerct way of doing this ???
> Thanks
> Steven

   Hi Steven

First of all if you want to have acces to both databases from your client you don't need to have a listener.ora on your client. You will need an tnsnames.ora on your client with aliases to both your databases.

If the databases are on the same server you will also need 1 (one) listener.ora on your server. If they are spread all over the place you will need listener.ora al over the place. I have configured it this way

Client, tnsnames.ora

db_name_1 = (description =

                      etc
                     )
                     (connect_data=(sid=dbname_1)

 db_name_2= (description =
                      etc
                     )
                     (connect_data=(sid=dbname_2)

Server listener.ora
listener = (address_list

                etc.
               )
sid_listener=(sid_list=
                     (sid_desc=
                    .....program = [directory]netv2_dbname_1.com)
                     (sid_desc=
                    .....program = [directory]netv2_dbname_2.com)
                    )

This is the way I configured it on an VMS system.

Regards,

Peter.Boven_at_UCC.NL
DBA Min. Agriculture, The Netherlands Received on Thu Jul 17 1997 - 00:00:00 CDT