Good editing environment....?

From: Kenn Herman <kennh_at_sierra.com>
Date: 1997/07/16

I have tried to figure out something myself, but thought I would ask out here. After lookin in "The Complete Reference", and "PL/SQL Programming" I find no good solution...so here it goes:

The way I have been editting procedures is to have a scratch window to write my procedure in including the "create or replace" and the trailing "/". Once I am ready, I paste it into the sqlplus command line. well once there I can edit it with the editor of my choice, but as soon as I make any other SQL args then the buffer is lost. I have to then "select text from user_source where name = 'PROCEDURE_NAME';" to retrieve it and the paste it back to my scratch window.

I am _sure_ there has to be a better way then this but have seen no reference to it. The possibilities I have thought about are to be able to specify which procedure to edit on the sqlplus command line. When trying to do this it automatically think I am trying to edit a file and adds ".sql". So this brings me to my second idea of editting it externally of sqlplus and simply importing and exporting the ".sql" file. As mentioned before I have not found this mention anywhere. Could someone please school me on a proper editting enviroment.

Kenn Herman
Assistant Technical Webmaster
Sierra On-Line Received on Wed Jul 16 1997 - 00:00:00 CDT