Re: OFA Standard?

From: nada <_at_pipe.nova.ca(nada)>
Date: 1997/07/16

<<SNIP>>

> I hope somebody understands this, as it's the only way I've ever seen
> Oracle installed.

I've come across several methods of client's installing oracle on various
and have myself installed oracle variety of ways (before I knew of OFA). Even with OFA, client's will adopt their own style.

> For an instance that is version 7.1.6, ORACLE_HOME would be /opt/oracle,
> for an instance that is version 7.3.2, ORACLE_HOME would be /opt/oracle2.

More common method has been to create a menu in ORACLE_BASE (the UNIX home
directory of oracle) which initializes the environment variables to the correcty instance & ORACLE_HOME, etc.

> My problem, is that I'm going to have my code do some looking to see if
> the current installation follows this guideline, and if not, tell the
> user to fix it.

Keyword here is "guideline". It's not written in stone that DBAs must follow
these rules. I've met resistance from client's since changing to OFA methodology
may result in a large amount of work and database down time in order to comply.

You can suggest the OFA standards to your client DBAs but you may wish to take
a survey of how they have installed their Oracle products and find a common
denominator that you both can work with.

It may sound a little cold but that's the real world. Hope I've helped in some
way.

Greg... Received on Wed Jul 16 1997 - 00:00:00 CDT