V$OPEN_CURSORS in pl/sql

From: Andrew Smalera <andrew.smalera_at_cplc.com>
Date: 1997/07/15

Hi, I have statements like these in some pl/sql code I wrote:

SELECT USER INTO v_UserID FROM DUAL;

They're part of a short stored procedure that runs when the user logs in. After a number of users log in, the server slows down, people can't log in any more, and server resources get used up. Checking the V$OPEN_CURSORS, I see that there are tons of open cursors related to the above group of statements still open. The statements are all just SQL 'select into' type commands. Why do they leave cursors open, and more importantly, how do I make sure they get closed?? I've never seen anything like this documented, and to the contrary, I've seen many examples where a select into is done in a block and there is no type of statement that tries to close the cursor. I would really appreciate any suggestions asap. Thanks. Received on Tue Jul 15 1997 - 00:00:00 CDT