Re: Setting up Oracle Type-4 JDBC Driver

From: Martin Smith <mfsmith_at_erols.com>
Date: 1997/07/12

--------------B9D412C1DD1088E6A921CBB7

Huh???? I thought the main point of the Type 4 was to skip SQL*Net!!

What I got out of the instructions was that you have to have a TNS TCP/IP Listener process going with the DBMS. I hope to get this tested today or Monday--I'll let you know what happens...

Martin Smith

Paul Mahler wrote:

> Jason Pugh wrote:
>
> > After reading the documentation that comes with the new Oracle JDBC
> > drivers, I'm under the impression that the only way to set up access

> > to an Oracle database using the Type-4 ("thin") Driver was by using

> > Oracle 8's connection manager.
>
> I have successfully connected my java application to an Oracle 7.3
> databaserunning the database server and the application on the same
> windows NT 4.0
> machine.

snip

>  You have to have SQL/Net running.

--------------B9D412C1DD1088E6A921CBB7

<HTML>

Huh????&nbsp; I thought the main point of the Type 4 was to skip SQL*Net!!

<P>What I got out of the instructions was that you have to have a TNS TCP/IP
Listener process going with the DBMS.&nbsp; I hope to get this tested today or Monday--I'll let you know what happens...

<P>Martin Smith
<BR>&nbsp;

<P>Paul Mahler wrote:
<BLOCKQUOTE TYPE=CITE>Jason Pugh wrote:

<P>> After reading the documentation that comes with the new Oracle JDBC
<BR>> drivers, I'm under the impression that the only way to set up access
<BR>> to an Oracle database using the&nbsp; Type-4 ("thin") Driver was
by using
<BR>> Oracle 8's connection manager.

<P>I have successfully connected my java application to an Oracle 7.3
<BR>databaserunning the database server and the application on the same
<BR>windows NT 4.0
<BR>machine.
<BR>&nbsp;</BLOCKQUOTE>

snip<B></B>&nbsp;
<BLOCKQUOTE TYPE=CITE><B></B>

<P><B>&nbsp;You have to have SQL/Net running.</B><B></B>

<P>></BLOCKQUOTE>

&nbsp;</HTML>

--------------B9D412C1DD1088E6A921CBB7-- Received on Sat Jul 12 1997 - 00:00:00 CDT