Re: Oracle security -- oracle id vs application tables

From: Hermen W. Huiskamp <ihwh_at_iname.com>
Date: 1997/07/12

--------------63CA952A889F3A1A24DAD35A

Crispin Lee wrote:

> HI,
>
> Has anyone done some security control for custom made Oracle-based
> application?
>
> I believe there are different views on whether security control for
> application should be using Oracle ID or using application tables.
> Need to
> compair the pro and con of these two methods.
>
> We are currently designing a business application for the government
> and
> they say that security access should be handled by the Oracle RDBMS as
>
> it
> is proved and secured as compaired to using application tables. There
> will
> be 7000+ application users and I am against the ideas as I don't think
>
> creating 7000+ ORACLE ID is the way to go. And I need to get strong
> justification for adopting application tables approach. Can someone
> share
> with me their comments?
>
> Thanks
>
> Crispin

 Dear Crispin,

If you want secure access you will want any user to have his own id (his/her fingerprint!!!).
What you will need to do is make optimal use of the role-authorization Oracle provides.
Define a set of system roles to grant to types of system users, i.e. developer, data-entry staff, query-only and the like. Then create application dependent roles, i.e. accounting data-entry (AP/AR), accounting datawarehouse, accounting controller. This combined set will make life easier. Then you may develop some software, Oracle*Forms and PL/SQL, to make life real easy! Enter, update, or change user-id specifics and fire the odd database trigger, and granting or revoking will be a cinch.

F&C

Hermen W. Huiskamp

--------------63CA952A889F3A1A24DAD35A

begin:          vcard
fn:             Huiskamp, Hermen W.
n:              Huiskamp;Hermen W.
org:            ORDINA HDT (IT-Consultancy)
adr:            Goeverneurkade 41;;;Voorburg;;2274 KK;Nederland
email;internet: ihwh_at_iname.com
tel;work:       06/54245479
tel;fax:        070/3000719
tel;home:       070/3000715