Re: My woes continue

From: Ian Sparkes <sparkes_at_sprintmail.com>
Date: 1997/07/10

There are any number of ways of handling this situation none of which should preclude you connecting to the production system. Your DBA should be able to configure the system such that you cannot crash it or seriously impact production operations, but it is generally not a good idea to do large queries against a OLTP production database during business hours. Your post didn't give any information as to how big the server database was or how much data you were downloading into PO, so the comment below should be taken as generalizations.

One comment I've seen is that you shouldn't access the production system during the day in case a query impacts performance. This can be handled by using the resource limit options on the server, this allows a DBA to limit the resources a session can consume.

I think it highly unlikely that use of Developer/2000 against Personal Oracle would cause a server to crash (there may be extenuating circumstances). However, if you are doing development/reports on PO why do you need to access the production server at all ? If you need data from the production system on PO why not look into getting some snapshots setup. These could copy the data you require to your PO on a schedule defined by the DBA, if you use Snapshot logs it will only copy the changes.

While in an extreme case (and this would require the DBA not to be using tools like resource limits), it is possible for you impact performance on the production server, I find it very difficult to see a case where it would cause "data corruption" (I'm sure somebody out there will come up with a case), the Oracle architecture is very robust and short of hitting a bug in Oracle I've never seen "data corruption" caused explicitly by a user process.

To summarize, I'd say the best solution would be to look at architectural alternatives rather than fighting over who can use what. If you post more info on what exactly you are doing with PO, maybe the group can suggest some alternatives. Received on Thu Jul 10 1997 - 00:00:00 CDT