Re: Killing sessions

From: Tim Witort <trwAT_at_ATmedicalert.DOTorg>
Date: 1997/07/10

John Hough wrote:

> Tim Witort wrote:
> >
> > Martin Drautzburg wrote:
> > >
> > > Oracle 7.1.3 under solaris 2.4
> > >
> > > How can I kill and oracle session. I tried svrmgrm, but sometimes I
> > > get a message "cannot.... session marked for kill". In situations like
> > > these I kill the unix process which seems to fix the problem. Still I
> > > wonder:
> > >
> > > 1. What trouble am I looking for, when I kill the unix process
> > > 2. Is there a cleaner way to kill a session ?
> >
> > Well, under normal circumstances, using the server manager or
> > session manager to kill a session works fine. But if the session
> > is in a bad state (please don't ask me to elaborate on that), then
> > you will get the message you got about the session just being
> > "marked." At that point, you have no option but to kill it at
> > the operating system level. This is not ideal, but it will
> > get the results you want - the session's user gets the "connection
> > closed" message and the RDBMS will (eventually) realize that
> > the session is no longer there. No corruption of the
> > database will happen - at least of the several hundred times
> > I know of this being done on several RDBMSs on several
> > different platforms (how's that for covering my bases?).
> >
> > -- TRW
>
> Just to throw a curve into this discussion! What do you do if the
> operating system process that is chewing up the resources in one of
> oracles dispatcher processes? You certainly can't kill this process,
> can you? The only solution I could come up with was to shutdown
> abort, and reopen. Any one have any better ways?

Well, my friends, there is a time for taking Rover to the vet and putting him to sleep... I have had situations come up where exactly this was going on. There is really nothing that can be done except killing Oracle (preferably with a shutdown.... that failing a shutdown immediate.... that failing a sutdown abort) and restarting it. This has almost always been the result of a problem in the way the database was structured or an application error - not anything the RDBMS was responsible for.