Re: dropping a column

From: Karl M. Nordquist <karln_at_brightwood.com.stopspam>
Date: 1997/07/09

Ceri,

Unfortunately, Oracle does not allow you to remove a column. There may be a different way to order columns in a table if needed, but I do not know how to do that, or even why it is necessary.

But, if you need to remove a column, the only way is to re-create the table without the column(s) you wish to remove. The procedure might look something like this:

	rename table blah to xxblah
	create table blah as ....
	insert into blah select ... from xxblah

Then you need to re-create foriegn keys, triggers, and re-grant rights.

I know its not pretty, but it is the only way.

HTH //Karl

Please remove '.stopspam' from the end of my address if you want to reply directly.
Thanks.
Karl M. Nordquist		karln_at_brightwood.com
Application Development
Bright Wood Corporation         Madras, Oregon