Re: Is Oracle the worst-documented product of all time?

From: Steve Phelan <stevep_at_no-spam.pmcgettigan.demon.co.uk>
Date: 1997/07/09

Andreas Dunker wrote:

> That's the point! Support and Training is very good. That means:
> You buy a database for several thousand Dollars. And then you
> have to pay an extra amount, so that you can use the database.
> I've worked for several years with Informix. You can use it
> without an extra training - even if you are a beginner - with
> just the shipped manuals. But this is nearly impossible with
> Oracle.

Thank goodness you are not working for my company (well, thankfully I own it, and you wouldn't have got past the interview with this sort of attitude...)

Look, to get back to what we've been trying to tell you: Oracle is a large and sophisticated product, so get some training and/or some consultancy - it really won't kill you, take my word for it - and buy the Oracle Press books (if you REALLY want to LEARN, that is?)

Your one months experience of Oracle on your own with just the Oracle Documentation CD ROM and no hardcopy manuals IS NOT ENOUGH ALONE for you to be undertaking what you seem to be undertaking, an 'award winning software developer' (your words, not mine) or not.

Now, which bit didn't you understand?

Steve Phelan.

Ps.

I'm an Oracle consultant. Do you want my C.V. and availability? :-) Received on Wed Jul 09 1997 - 00:00:00 CDT