Re: Is Oracle the worst-documented product of all time?

From: J. van der Velde <JvdVelde_at_skzl.azn.nl>
Date: 1997/07/08

Richard Burton wrote:

> A "Newbie's" view of Oracle
>
> I'm about a month into Oracle, and I feel somewhat obligated to
> document some of my frustrations and opinions on various issues. I
> have no intention of slamming the company or its products, but at the
> same time, I can't help but be appalled at how unnecessarily difficult
>
> it is to go from zero-to-twenty. I want to make note of these things
> for several reasons:

Richard, don't be sad i\I did the DBA course a year ago and still I Want a shoulder to cry on. Try to understand the documentation when you go to a new release half the time references to nowhere. When I started to built our database from scratch I expected at least a getting started manual to take me by the hand. But no, you end up with several hardcopy's from the documentation CD your course notes and you own intellgence. I understand not every situation can be explained in a book but like you I need a little structure in what i read. This DBA job is parttime next to my database design job and application devellopment job. and I realy don't have the time to read 7 different manuals which reference eachother.

You have my sympathy, And I wish you well.Hang in there and suddenly A little lamp will turn on and you'll be enlightened (for that detail)

Regards, Sjef van der Velde Received on Tue Jul 08 1997 - 00:00:00 CDT