Re: Is Oracle the worst-documented product of all time?

From: Roy Smith <roy_at_popmail.med.nyu.edu>
Date: 1997/07/08

rburton_at_rohms.com.NOJUNKMAIL! (Richard Burton) wrote:
> * Why is the majority of Oracle's documentation exclusively on CD-ROM?
> Am I the only person who finds this incredibly annoying?

I find on-line documentation to be very convenient for looking something up when you've just forgotten the details, but for *learning*, nothing beats a well organized hardcopy book.

My recent frustration came with trying to order the documentation for Oracle Context Option. Yes, I was happy to pay for the books, if I could only get them. I knew the exact name of the manuals I wanted to order, yet still spent days going around and around on the phone getting nowhere trying to order them. I never did manage to order the book. Some oracle engineer did eventually send me some HTML documents, but that's not the same as having the book. Very frustrating indeed.

--
Roy Smith <roy_at_popmail.med.nyu.edu>
New York University School of Medicine