OCI: olog/orlon core dump problem on AIX

From: Willem MOORS <willem.moors_at_ficsgrp.com>
Date: 1997/07/07

Dear all,

I read the following message posted by Charles Hooks to comp.databases.oracle.misc a bit more than a month ago. I emailed him last week to find out whether he had received any suggestions or solutions to his problem, since I am also having trouble with a similar issue. I haven't had a reply, so I take it he is on leave (being in the "business" of education)

Does anybody have a clue how to tackle this problem ?

Thanks a lot.

Willem MOORS,
Belgium

[Problem] AIX 4.1/OCI oracel 7.2.3 & 7.2.2.3

>From shire_at_ecst.csuchico.edu (Charles W. Hooks)
Organization California State University, Chico

Date           28 May 1997 05:09:23 GMT
Newsgroups     comp.databases.oracle.misc
Message-ID     <5mgem3$agt_at_charnel.ecst.csuchico.edu>

        I've had several problem with the shared libraries on various
platforms, previously a patch for Oracle has fixed the problem, after one phone call. However Oracle is taking a long time to get back to me about the AIX platform... So I thought I'd see if anyone else on the net has had my problem, and could help me lead Oracle support in the correct direction of a patch, or at least help speed a patch into existence... :)

        The commmon problem for many platforms has been for a core dump to occur durign an 'orlon' call when linking with shared libraries. If you switch over to linking statically the problem goes away. Thus I can get around the problem until Oracle comes up with a patch. Of course Oracle and thier documentation says to use 'olog', however we still have an support call in on olog problem, which I'll tackle another day. :) On the AIX machines however, the static linking has a bad side-effect that prevents my product from working. :( I use cda.rpc to report how many rows are fetched. Works great on other platforms. On the AIX boxes,
 however I am gettign bogus data... A consistently large negative number
in some cases, which I treat as an error condition. This bad value occurs
just after I finish getting all the data(rows) from the select. From my testing, I've noticed that I can jsut treat that large ugly number as an '0' and things do work. However since the application work on several RDMS and platforms, this 'magical' hack is not appropriate. Besides, I hate stuff that work magically! Leave to much area for something else to go wrong and/or compound the problem...

Has anyone come across this problem before? If so, did Oracle build a patch for it?

--
Charles W. Hooks  aka Tribbles                         _   /|
                  aka Moonshae                         \'o.O'