Re: IBM DB2 serious alternative to Oracle/Informix?

From: <haider_at_vnet.ibm.com>
Date: 1997/07/07

In article <33BCC972.DFE12A63_at_mindspring.com>,   tschaefe_at_mindspring.com wrote:

> OK, so I'm brain dead. :-) I haven't seen Oracles stuff in a while, but
> the web-based tools were a lot more usable than what I saw with DB2.
>
> The DB2 interface, as I said, is appealing to a certain individual who is
> accustomed to IBM. Understandable? This is relative. It's "easy" to use,
 but
> certainly requires DB2 knowledge on the part of the user. DB2 will appeal to
> the IBM constituency that already likes this product, just like OS/2.

Tim,

I am obviously biased because I work in the DB2 UDB development team, but from your comments it seems like you have tested the old DB2 Common Server. Please take a look at the following url, it contains excerpts from (and links to) reviews of the UDB beta by the industry publications and consultants. Most of them praise the new look of the gui.

http://www.software.ibm.com/data/news/industry.html

You can also read a review by Information Week at the following url: http://www.iweek.co.uk/reviews/006/rev12.stm

I think we will be in open beta program pretty soon, and then you can try out for yourself.

Regards,

--
Haider A. Rizvi	                (haider_at_vnet.ibm.com)
DB2 UDB Performance group, IBM Canada Ltd.,

Disclaimer: I don't speak for IBM.