HELP! System crashes

From: Joost Ouwerkerk <owrkrj_at_mailhub.sickkids.on.ca>
Date: 1997/07/04

I've been writing and running rather complex queries (through SQL*Plus) and my wacky DBA has told me that some of my queries have brought down the system -- because they request too much memory, rollback segment space, or whatever.

I personally believe that if an SQL query (SELECT statement only) is bringing the server down, there is something seriously wrong, --not with the query-- but with the system. Can't he just put some resource limitations on my userid?

I have now been cut off from using the database (Oracle7.3 on an IBM AIX server) -- my userid deactivated. Did I really do something wrong or has our DBA lost it? He's told us that nobody can run queries during office hours. Some system.

J. Ouwerkerk
Toronto. Received on Fri Jul 04 1997 - 00:00:00 CDT