Re: IBM DB2 serious alternative to Oracle/Informix?

From: Tim Schaefer <tschaefe_at_mindspring.com>
Date: 1997/07/04

Toby Reyelts wrote:

> I don't know about you, but I only care that the interface is
> understandable, easy to use, and facilitates my productivity. Unlike, let's
> say, Oracles' interface for Netware.

OK, so I'm brain dead. :-) I haven't seen Oracles stuff in a while, but the web-based tools were a lot more usable than what I saw with DB2.

The DB2 interface, as I said, is appealing to a certain individual who is accustomed to IBM. Understandable? This is relative. It's "easy" to use, but certainly requires DB2 knowledge on the part of the user. DB2 will appeal to the IBM constituency that already likes this product, just like OS/2.

:-)

[...]

> The performance for DB/2 is great, but you don't have to take my
> word for it. Just download a free-trial of db2 from the ibm web site,
> http://www.software.ibm.com/db2.

Performance alone will not sell a data base engine. With the short attention span of most non-IBM customers DB2 on NT better be shooting sparks to get attention. Administration and ease of maintenance should be a consideration as well. DB2 is so 'IBM' most of the people I know would look at it and wonder what to do with it. Or ignore it in favor of the magic and wonder of the candy from Seattle. Everything about NT is looked at in this context--what other vendor supplies the NT OS? So, when it comes to data base products, what is Seattles' next move is the first consideration, then what is the data base vendors' next move.

Take a look at the latest offerings from Seattle for VB 5.0 and VC++ 5.0 and I think you'll see a major uphill run for DB2. Microsoft can sell SQLServer off of momentum of their latest tools, but not because SQLServer is any good. Which I suspect will be a great method for other data base vendors. Informix had a great mix of good tools with their data base products in the past, and is only of late coming back to this concept. If I understand the recent press drippings even Informix is getting Visual Basic tools out the door.

Data base products without good interfaces and tools are not attractive in todays' market, unless you need very little to work with. As they say, ignorance is bliss.

:-)

> On install, db2 puts all of the on-line books in the start menu, so
> that you can select them by category. Once in any book, you can always
> search through the entire library of books for any particular topic,
> phrase, or keyword with one mouse-click or keystroke.

Provided you already understand DB2 or IBM products and documentation. Like I said, it's a wonderful product for the folks that really know and like IBM products.

:-)

> Again, you have no reason to take my word for truth. Try it out for
> yourself for free. Then tell us what _you_ think.

Thanks, I did try it out, and you got my thoughts.

> God bless,
> -Toby

Yes, prayer and a miracle would probably be appropriate for DB2 on NT.

:-)

--
Tim Schaefer                  \\|//
tschaefe_at_mindspring.com       (6 6)