Re: A second Oracle database on NT

From: Nathan Hughes <nhughes_at_cerberus.umd.umich.edu>
Date: 1997/07/03

Jeremy Cope <jeremy_at_intrahealth.co.nz> writes:

>I have an Oracle 7.3 database running on NT and I would like to create
>two environments e.g test and prod
>What is the best way to do this?
>Do I need to install Oracle again and create another instance and
>database?
>Can I use the same instance for two databases?

You must create another instance and database. There is no need to install any Oracle home.

You can use oradim gui to do create a new database and instance (be sure to go into advanced and set the files/sizes sanely). Your oradim exe will be named oradim7x, where x = 1,2 or 3, depending on your version. (Or oraserv if you're at 7.0, I believe). Just as in UNIX, be sure your block size is set in the initSID.ora before creating the DB.

If you'd like, you can also use oradim command line to create the new instance, and use svrmgr to create the database through a script. Eithier way works. To use oradim command line, just give it arguments. Ex:

oradim73 /? -- for help

oradim73 -new -sid PROD -pfile c:\orant\database\initPROD.ora -startmode auto -intpwd manager

The above will create the two NT services (OracleServicePROD and OracleStartPROD).

Hope this helps... and I woudl recommend (if running more than one instance on NT) disabling ORACLE_SID in registry and environment. In NT it's very easy to accidentally connect to/startup the wrong database with these settings. So what you may say, but it is also possible to start a database with a sid that is already started - this causes corruption and forces a db rebuild. Ouch.

Hope this helps, good luck.

--
/(o\ Nathan D. Hughes
\o)/ nhughes_at_umich.edu