Re: Forms3 and Oracle version 7.3

From: Amit Aggarwal <amaggarwal_at_kendle.com>
Date: 1997/07/03

Lasse Halaas wrote:

> Is there anybody out there ?
>
> I'm working as a manager for an "old" system that uses Forms 3 GUI and
> Oracle 7.1.6. We now need/want to upgrade to version 7.3, but we have
> run into some trouble with compatibility. My questions are :
>
> Can one use Forms 3 and Oracle 7.3 ?
>
> What about SQL*Net version 1 versus version 2 ?
>
> And finally, what about tools for "automatic" conversion of Forms 3 to
> Forms 4 ?
>
> Any info, contacts, etc is greatly appreciated !!!
>
> Please respond by e-mail to lasseh_at_online.no (as well as posting answers
> in the news groups for others)
>
> Regards from
> Lasse Halaas, Norway
> --
>
> (####)
> (#######) WITH REGARDS FROM
> (#########) LASSE HALAAS
> (#########)
> (#########) lasseh_at_online.no
> (#########) http://www.stud.his.no/~lasseh
> __&__ (#########)
> / \ (#########) |\/\/\/| /\ /\ /\ /\
> | | (#########) | | | V \/ \___. .____/ \____.
> | (o)(o) (o)(o)(##) | | \_ / \ /

 C   .__ _) ,_C     (##)  | (o)(o)    (o)(o)  <__. .__\ (o)(o) /__.

> /_____/ \ OOOOOO /____\ ooooo /³ ³\
Yes you can definitely use Forms 3 and Oracle 7.3 Infact in my previous job, I had exactly the same situation. Forms 3 and Oracle 7.1.6. Then
when I upgraded Oracle to 7.3, what I needed to do was create 2 Oracle homes - This is required. One for Oracle server and the other for older applciations like Forms 3. Oracle support helped me in this.

You cannot run SQL*Net v1 with Oracle 7.3. But unless you have hardocded SQL*Net V1 connect strings in your application programs, you can easily access all the programs thru SQL*Net v2. Of course all the users PCs will
need to have SQL*Net v2 also.

Amit Received on Thu Jul 03 1997 - 00:00:00 CDT