ODBC queries from Windows NT .idc files fail

From: Yamaneko <weckels_at_jorsm.com>
Date: 1997/07/02

     On Friday, six queries that could be run from our intranet
appeared to work well. On Monday, they all stopped working. Our system uses NT 4.0 for the Web server, NT 3.51 as the Oracle server, Microsoft IIS 3.0 on the Web server and Oracle 7.2. All queries are done from NT Workstation 4.0 using Netscape 3.01. We are using Internet Database Connector, a Microsoft thing.

     We use .idc files to send queries to an Oracle 7.2 database. End users fill in a short form on the Web, and a Javascript generates an URL that specifies the .idc file and the parameters to be passed into it. For example:

     queryname.idc?serial='057698'&suffix='A'

     The query is then performed then formatted by an .htx file and displayed to the browser.

     After several reboots of our Web server, looking at a bunch of logs and talking to our vendor, this is what we know:

     We traced some queries and saw that the SQL.LOG file calls a number of routines successfully. When it finally gets to the routine that executes the query, the query is correctly generated but is never performed. (I verified that the query is good by cutting it and pasting it into the online SQL system provided; the query worked perfectly there.) The routine that executes the query starts, but never stops.

     Failed queries do not go away; we needed to enter the process administrator and stop a bunch of these queries, or Oracle would refuse to accept another connection (leading to Oracle server reboot; not very nice!) All of the failed queries were always idle, according to the process administrator.

     When the client performs the query from Netscape (NT Workstation 4.0, Netscape Standard 3.01), Netscape sends the query then hogs the CPU. On the server, CPU utilization increases for about two seconds, then falls to background levels.

     Our guess is that Oracle gets the query, but then forgets about it and does not drop the connection.

     A friend noted that we put .idc, .htx and .html files on the same directory; Microsoft's TechNet instructions tell us to put .idc and .htx files in their own directory. I would suspect this more had the queries not been running without trouble for almost four weeks. (I'll do this when we solve the current problems or when I get desperate.)

     What should we do? I would be most grateful to know.

     Warren Eckels
     Please reply to wjeckels_at_uss.com if possible
     weckels_at_jorsm.com