Re: IBM DB2 serious alternative to Oracle/Informix?

From: Glenn Hoffman <cws_at_atlanta.com>
Date: 1997/07/02

In <5pdlbr$dos$1_at_news.kth.se>, f90-ogi_at_nada.kth.se (Otto Giesenfeld) writes:
>Hello,
>
>I was a bit astonished to hear an IBM salesperson tell me how
>low the prices for DB2 are set. For unix and NT it seems that
>licenses are approximately _one_tenth_ of Oracle Enterprise
>Server pricing. Informix is more or less on par with Oracle,
>I think.
>
>I somehow thought that IBM played in the same division as
>Oracle and Informix, but this makes me wonder. Can I
>expect good reliability, performance, and scalability
>from DB2 for unix, or is it only an alternative for
>those who would be satisfied with MS SQL Server or
>Oracle Workgroup Server?

    We are running DB/2 for OS/2 here at the State of Georgia     and are very happy with it.

     We have sevaral apps running on it, and have some rather big tables.
     Performance is excellant.

     The NT and Unix versions share much of the same code as the OS/2 versions
     and is very similair to the mainframe DB/2

   Glenn Hoffman                cws_at_atlanta.com        voice: 770-795-0155
   Team OS/2                                                     fax:   770-795-0355