Re: PL/SQL and recursive calls

From: Tim Witort <trwAT_at_ATmedicalert.DOTorg>
Date: 1997/07/02

Sir John Patrick Ryan wrote:

> Imagine the following problem :
> You have a source tree A and a destination tree B
> Trees are represented by a simple table :
> Name VARCHAR2(10) : identification of a leaf
> Rec_level NUMBER(8) : indication of level of recursivity
> Parent VARCHAR2(10) : parent of the current name
>
> The idea of the process is to synchronise destination tree
> to source tree. This is done by going through the tree recursively
> and creating/deleting leafs in the destination table
> where needed.

You will get "odd" behavior if you modify a table on which you have declared a cursor. I wouldn't call the behavior a bug, but is the designed behavior of what is basically self modifying data. There were some threads on this in the last several months in this newsgroup you might want to search for at DejaNews.