Re: data structure question

From: <edwards_at_garland.dnr.state.sc.us>
Date: 1997/07/01

Sanjeev K Akkina wrote:

> I am looking for a way that I can store the following data into a table:
>
> Name
> Date
> Plot1
> Plot2
> Plot3
> Plot50
>
> Where Plot## is a time (in seconds). I will have 100-200 records with the same
> data structure so I was thinking of creating a table with a column for each
> part (i.e. Name, Date, Plot..). In this case, the table will have 52 columns
> and approximately 100-200 rows. Does anyone have a better idea on how I could
> do this?

I am not sure what you are trying to do but I think you need to separate 'plot' and '##' from the 'plot##' column into two columns. Like this:

	name		varchar2(35)
	date		date
	plot_data	raw		--plot
	plot_time	number(2)	--##

So instead of diong something like this:
	select plot1 from plot_table where name = 'x' and date = 'y';
You would do this:
	select plot_data from plot_table where name = 'x' and
	date = 'y' and plot_time=1;