Re: Is another user logged in?

From: Nathan Hughes <nhughes_at_cerberus.umd.umich.edu>
Date: 1997/07/01

Jim Baska <jim-DONOTSPAM_at_sprintmail.com> writes:

>Does anyone know a way to allow user1 see if user2 is logged in? I do
>not want to have to grant DBA priviledges to user1, but I wouldn't mind
>granting lesser rolls/priviledges to user1.

  1. grant select on sys.v_$session to user1. user1 can then 'select username from v$session'.
  2. create procedure from accoutn with select on v$session (sys?) that queries v$session and checks to see if the inputted userid is logged in. This is more helpful if what you want is actually to check if a particular userID is logged in. grant execute on procedure to user1.
  3. create personal view for logged in users using table and column from v_$session view. grant select on this view to user1, create public syn for this view.

I'm sure there's plenty other solutions as well.

--
/(o\ Nathan D. Hughes
\o)/ nhughes_at_umich.edu