Re: How many fields (columns) can an Oracle 7.3 table have?

From: Lane W. Sharman <lane_at_san.rr.com>
Date: 1997/06/26

Hi Ron,

This is somewhat of an abstraction but try turning your rows into columns. This will be a much better design in the long run:

    >it will eliminate a lot of wasted space for rows with nulls
    >it will support data redefinition without schema reconfiguration
    >it will be faster to search in some cases than very large rows.

You will have two tables:

Stuff: (seq_nbr, record_date, etc...);
Attribute Stuff: (seq_nbr, stuff_seq_nbr, stuff_attribute_type, stuff_value);

You may want to add two lookup tables to manage lookup types and lookups similar to the above.

-L

-L

--
Lane Sharman