Re: Bitmap indexes

From: Steve Phelan <stevep_at_no-spam.pmcgettigan.demon.co.uk>
Date: 1997/06/25

Lisa M. Lewis wrote:

> I would like to use bitmap indexes so I tried:
>
> create bitmap index users_userknown on users(userknown);
>
> I got an error:
> ORA-00901: invalid CREATE command.
>
> I read in a book that I have that in Oracle 7.3.2 to enable bitmap
> indexes you have to add the following to your init.ora file:
>
> event = '10111 trace name context forever'
> event = '10112 trace name context forever'
> event = '10114 trace name context forever'
>
> Does anyone know if this also applies to 7.3.3?
> Any tips on using bitmap indexes ( except for the obvious - only use
> on
> low cardinality fields ).
>
> Thanks!
>
> Lisa

I *think* - and there has been conflicting advice on this, so check with Oracle Support for your specific platform first - that you must install the Parallel Query Option. The 'event' lines were for older, non-production installations and are not needed anymore. Again, do check with Oracle Support first.

I'd be interested in the reply you get.

Steve Phelan. Received on Wed Jun 25 1997 - 00:00:00 CDT